JPL GUN CLUB BY-LAWS
ARTICLE I. Name and Purpose
1. The name of this Club shall be the JPL Gun Club, a member subclub of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory Employees' Recreation Club, Inc. (ERC), a nonprofit California corporation. Its address shall be: JPL Gun Club, c/o ERC, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, California 91109.
2. The purpose of this Club shall be to foster, encourage, and promote in the interest of its members, the enjoyment of the sport of shooting, with attention to firearms safety, marksmanship, hunting, sportsmanship, and the law. The Club shall be an affiliate of the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) and shall cooperate with other organizations in the furtherance of its objectives. It shall be nonprofit, nonpolitical, and nonsectarian.
ARTICLE II. Membership and Dues
1. Membership in the JPL Gun Club shall be open to all persons who are eligible for ERC membership as regular, associate, or affiliate members. In addition, per ERC rules, up to 20% of Club membership may be "non-affiliate" members. Non-affiliate members must be sponsored by a regular, associate, or affiliate member in good standing. Non-affiliate members are non-voting members. Written application for membership accompanied by dues payment shall be filed with the Membership Chair annually. Retirees and Juniors are eligible for free membership, but must renew annually.
2. Membership in the JPL Gun Club may be terminated at any time by the member, or by the Board of Directors for just cause, including a) default of dues and b) any act detrimental to the interests of the Club or its objectives. In case a), the member shall have the opportunity to reinstate himself at any time upon settling accounts with the Club; in case b), the member shall have at least one week's notice of the action and be entitled to a hearing before the Club Board of Directors and appeal to the ERC Board of Regents.
3. Individual membership in the NRA is strongly recommended and facilitated by the Club.
4. JPL Gun Club annual membership dues shall be $10.00 for all members except retirees and Juniors. The dues year shall run from 1 January through 31 December.
5. The elected officers shall be members in good standing of the National Rifle Association.
ARTICLE III. Officers
1. The JPL Gun Club shall have the following elected officers: president, vice president, treasurer, and executive officer. The elected officers of this Club must be employees or retirees of the Caltech Jet Propulsion Laboratory. The president may appoint a secretary and chairmen of the three standing committees: Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun. The Pistol Committee chairman shall submit, for approval by the Board of Directors, names of respective JPL pistol range officers.
2. These four elected officers and the appointed officers shall constitute the Board of Directors.
3. Term of office shall be for one year from April 1st. No individual shall hold two Board positions for more than the unexpired annual term. No president shall hold office for more than two successive terms, except by a unanimous vote of all other elected and appointed officers.
4. Elections shall be held at least two weeks before the close of each term of office. The membership present at the December meeting shall constitute a quorum for such election.
5. Vacated offices shall be filled by the Board of Directors, subject to approval of the membership. Recall of elected officers shall be considered upon petition of 5% of the membership, and passed by a two-thirds vote of the membership.
ARTICLE IV. Duties
1. The Board of Directors shall be responsible generally for management of the JPL Gun Club business, including specifically:
(a) Establishing rules and policies, as appropriate, for member conduct and use of Club property, and the admission of visitors to Club privileges.
(b) Policing such rules.
(c) Admission and expulsion of members.
(d) Advising individual officers as appropriate.
(e) Administering the expressed will of the membership.
(f) Administering the finances and property of the Club.
2. The Board shall meet, as necessary, to transact Club business, at the call of the president or two Board members, on three days' notice. Four Board members shall constitute a quorum. Board meeting shall be open to interested members.
3. The Board shall operate within the appropriate ERC legal and financial requirements.
4. If a Board member absents himself/herself without notice or excuse from three consecutive, duly-called Board meetings, his/her office may be declared vacated by the Board and a replacement appointed by the remaining Board members until the next regular election.
5. The president shall conduct Board and membership meetings and enforce all laws and regulations therein. He/she shall perform other duties prescribed by the Board. He/she shall appoint committees and ad hoc officials as appropriate on the advice of the Board.
6. The vice president will assume duties of the president in absence or disability of the president.
7. The treasurer will maintain financial records and will receive money for the Club, depositing it with the ERC office within ten days of receipt. He/she shall disburse Club money as directed by the Board. He/she shall operate within the requirements imposed by the ERC. He/she shall report to the Board and membership regularly or on request, with a detailed report at the end of each term of office.
8. The executive officer shall be responsible for the federal firearms license. He/she shall keep records, control the firearms registration, and ensure compliance with applicable city, county, state, and federal laws.
9. The secretary shall conduct the correspondence of the Club, and maintain minutes, membership files, and other Club records. He/she shall report to the Board on request, and carry out other duties as prescribed by the Board.
10. One of the JPL pistol range officers will be responsible for all shooting activities while utilizing the JPL pistol range.
11. The standing committee chairmen shall, with the approval of the Board, be responsible for promotion, organization, and execution of shooting activities in their areas.
12. The membership shall meet at the call of the president or any two Board members, or 5% of the membership. The membership shall elect officers each December by motion or resolution.
ARTICLE V. Finances
Money paid to and disbursed by the JPL Gun Club will be handled by the elected officers and the ERC in accordance with the appropriate ERC regulations.